Sunday, July 6, 2008

High Priced Snobbery

I took the kids to a casual friends place, Teressa. We are friends through our little country school and mostly because my daughter, Rose, who is friends with her daughter.
When we got to Teressa's place she was packing stuff up because they were moving house. For some odd reason most of the stuff was packed on the stair case, though not obstructive.
As she pottered around, i looked out of their lounge room window. They lived on a hilltop, overlooking all of our little town with a population of 3500 [in reality] [Her sister lives on a house on a hill that overlooks our town, but the house it the dream was nothing like hers]
I told her the view was breathtaking. And she said that the house hadn't been listed to rent yet, so if we want it, go see the estate agent now and it should be all ours.
I said, "Nahh, we own our house so we can't move into this one" Then she went to hang out some washing on the 'permanent' retractable clothesline that was right outside the window. I said "That must be a real pain to have there!"
I looked around the house and noticed that no matter how much they packed up, the amount of stuff they had didn't seem to diminish. But the house was huge and roomy, and a horrid light apricot colour [eeewww].

Teressa said she was having a party because she was turning 50 [I always thought she looked a little older that the 27 she told me she was, but 50??? i don't think so! yet in my dream i wasn't surprised.] Then she said that she was inviting everyone she knew but she didn't want me to go because i might dance and embarrass her. Apparently I'd danced in front of that window once before, and she didn't want me doing it again and in front of people. It wasn't even a "dance". More like a jiggle along to the music that was playing!
I felt really hurt by that. Not insulted, but left out and isolated.
Then Teressa went and sat with her friends in another room because the party was starting.
So i left, but i left the kids there because they were welcome, and expected at the party.
I walked home down a long winter road. There were bare winter trees along both sides of the road and the sky was grey.
Then i went to find my sister, Rochelle. She lived in a busy city, in a high rise apartment building and she was a bit of a jet setter with high profile friends. Her flat was small and the furniture was expensive.
There was this guy living with her who was tall and skinny with shoulder length 'dirty' blond hair. He was a business associate of hers but she also used him for an occasional shag. [Rochelle is happily married with a daughter, living in a suburb in reality]
We walked around a few streets and Rochelle showed me some sights. Then we went back to her place and the tall guy showed me his awesome tan coloured ugg boots that Kylie Minogue had bought him. On the right side of the boots were summer embroidered/appliqued scenes such as bushy trees and a sun. And on the left of the boots were bare winter trees and a moon.

My kids were back with me again, but younger. I stayed a couple of nights at Rochelle's but i was ready to pack the kids up and go home. The kids were playing on a child size plastic table and it was day time. They were by a window and a lovely summer breeze was blowing the light white curtain around beside them. I went out onto a balcony [and it was now night time] to text John and tell him that i missed him and i wanted him to come and get me. But the text wouldn't go through and i started feeling desperate because i couldn't reach him.
In the meantime, the tall guy shut the balcony sliding door and locked it. The curtains were closed and they couldn't see me out there while they watched tele. I knocked on the door to be let back in but they couldn't hear me, or pretended not to. So i lay on the balcony and tried to go to sleep.

And that's it :o)

No comments: